When you need to update a YouTube video thumbnail (featured image) on the website because either it’s too large or the default has been changed on Youtube, here are the steps:
- Visit this url: https://i1.ytimg.com/vi/EpOQOEHtqz8/mqdefault.jpg
- Replace the YouTube id in the link above with the id of the video you want to update .
- Download the image.
- Edit the video on the website.
- Remove featured image.
- Upload new thumbnail into media library.
- Set that as the featured image.
- Save the video post.
Example of video post featured image that has been updated (fixed) on YouTube:
And one that is too large on the website: